Game without variables
This is a post presenting new game concept
- Today, I want to talk about a game with a new concept.
- As I've posted in Level Game Pattern, games with level ups have certain benefits.
- Also, talked in Variables Pattern, variable is one of fundamental elements of games.
Downside of variables
- But there's also a downside of these variables.
- With variables, players become very aware of their differences each other.
- Especially when you're a beginner in that game, if first thing you see is a scoreboard with many experienced players, what do you feel?
- One would feel very discouraged, feeling "No matter how much I've put my time in this game, it's impossible to beat them or compete with them".
What about a game without experience points?
- To avoid this inevitable isolation of players, here's an idea: a game players compete each other without any increasing variables.
- To make it a real game, I narrowed game type to "tank game".
- Tank game is like this:
- Players control their tanks and shoot each other in 2d maps. When you hit another tank, you beat him. And you earn certain points.
- A tank game generally have multiple weapons/tanks to select from.
- And whey they have stronger weapons/tanks, it's easier to beat others. Also, experienced players know how to control their tanks far better than beginners.
Tommorrow's post is a detailed explanation of an actual "Tank Rock-Paper-Scissors game".